Old New Zealand

...Karitane...

Karitane

Karitane is a small fishing village just south of Dunedin and a popular holiday location. It has a pleasant beach and some interesting walks around the headland which in pre European times was the site of Huriawa pa (fort). A whaling station was established then acquired by legendary whaler Johnny Jones in 1838. James Watkins established the first Weslyan missionary station in the South Island there in 1840.